Interior Undersecretary Nicola
Molteni on Saturday denounced the "very serious interference"
from Germany in relation to its funding of a German NGO carrying
out rescue operations in the Central Mediterranean and
disembarking the rescued migrants and refugees in Italy.
"Berlin must provide clarification on the funding to Sos Humanity," Molteni told ANSA, referring to reports that the German government has allocated 790,000 euros to the charity.
"It is an act that limits our country's sovereignty: a state that funds a foreign entity to bring migrants to Italy," he said.
"On a more general level, I expect the European Union to impose the principle of responsibility of the flag state: if a German (rescue) ship positions itself in front of Libya it must take rescued migrants to Germany," continued Molteni.
"We will insist with Europe on this issue," he added.
On Friday sources at the office of Premier Giorgia Meloni voiced "great astonishment at the news reported by ANSA according to which a spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the Federal Republic of Germany has announced imminent funding to NGOs for a project to assist migrants on Italian territory and a project of 'rescues' at sea".
"The Italian government will immediately contact the German authorities for clarification," the sources said.
It later emerged that the NGO to receive the funding is SOS Humanity, which operates rescue vessels in the central Mediterranean.
The NGO itself said it had been allocated 790,000 euros.
Separately, the lay Catholic Sant'Egidio Community charity said on Friday had signed a fresh deal with Berlin to fund migrant activities in Italy, as part of a years-long relationship.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA